I agree about hands on being important, but what I think you guys are missing here is this - at least to me - does not appear to be a course for a bench tech PC technician. This is a course for level 1 corporate support. That's a job that primarily happens over the phone and these days most level 1 corp techs don't touch hardware other then to replace a keyboard / mouse / monitor or perhaps the whole PC tower. Most enterprise corporate environments rely on service companies, contracts and extended warranties to have hardware physically worked on.

We are in the middle of a big transition from operating in a small to medium business mode to full on enterprise. My team has been discouraged from touching hardware. I'm actually in the middle of a negotiating process to get our vendor to install upgraded SSDs, Video Card, and RAM in the PCs we purchase, tag them with our asset tag number, image them, warehouse them for us, package and ship them directly to our end users.

In a corporate environment if a CPU goes bad, you're not swapping it. Your imaging a new pc, putting it in place and logging the user in. Folder redirection, exchange and other GPOs give them the exact same experience as the pc you took out.

Then you're calling your service company to come onsite and replace the CPU on that bad PC.

I agree you can't learn to be a bench tech or a technician for one of those aforementioned maintenance companies through courses, but I do think you can learn to troubleshoot and work fairly effectively in a corporate helpdesk setting.