Thread: Tipping for haircuts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Getting back to tipping, I think places need to charge whatever the true cost of the service is and the tip should be either non-existent or minimal. When I was in Europe (Germany, France, Czech Republic, Austria) the norm was for minimal tipping because the staff was already being paid a reasonable wage. I think that makes more sense.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    Getting back to tipping, I think places need to charge whatever the true cost of the service is and the tip should be either non-existent or minimal. When I was in Europe (Germany, France, Czech Republic, Austria) the norm was for minimal tipping because the staff was already being paid a reasonable wage. I think that makes more sense.
    Agreed. I was just talking with a coworker about this the other day. He just booked a cruise and was telling me what his total was with "all gratuities included". I was like "wtf"? Gratuities are supposed to be something you give for exceptional service, not used as a means to help places pay their staff. If they know they're automatically getting gratuities included, where's the incentive go give exceptional service?
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    If they know they're automatically getting gratuities included, where's the incentive go give exceptional service?
    They still have a job.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I go to the local Great Clips. $13 for a good layer cut. $2-5 tip depending on if they take their time and do a good job instead of jawing with their coworkers. Speaking of jawing, do you like it when your barber (or stylist) talks to you while cutting your hair or do you want them to just shut the heck up and cut the hair? I must admit that I change based on who's doing the cutting.
    Last edited by JaxSon; 10-18-2017 at 04:25 AM.