Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Is anybody reading anything?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    Way cool. Great pic too!
    I was talking to him in my 20 seconds that's why the look on my face is so goofy :-)
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    Just finished Cisco ICND 100-101, now reading Cisco ICND 200-105. Kind of want to gouge my eyes out....

In my spare time I'm reading Song of Ice and Fire... Somewhere in book 4.
    Bubba, you have more endurance than I do. I gave up after book 3, because it looked like one of those infinite serial novels that drag on indefinitely with no conclusion in sight. Like Terry Goodkind. Sorry, Northbay, couldn't resist.

I'm currently reading Damien Boyd's DI Nick Dixon novels, which are set in rural England. Top notch characters, very good plots.
    http://www.damienboyd.com/

Also working my way through Paul Levine's Jake Lassiter novels http://paul-levine.com/jake-lassiter-series/
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    When you read books, do you read actual hardcover or paperback books or do you use a tablet or Kindle or something similar. Which device is best for long term reading such as sitting in an airport terminal?

Just curious

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    When you read books, do you read actual hardcover or paperback books or do you use a tablet or Kindle or something similar. Which device is best for long term reading such as sitting in an airport terminal?

Just curious
    Mostly, I read on a Kindle Voyage. It's light, also has a very nicely lighted screen. A Kindle Unlimited subscription is about ten bucks a month, and you have access to something like 8 million titles, and you can read as many books a month as you can read. This is a really big deal for me, because one of the meds I take for my allergies really screws with my sleep patterns, so I often sleep maybe 3 to 4 hours a night. Some nights I may get a lot of work done, some nights I get a lot of reading done. Man does not live by Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime video alone.

With the Kindle app, your phone and your Kindle pretty much automatically synch, so I can leave the Kindle at home and read on my phone. That's a lot more convenient for reading in restaurants, etc. The Kindle is a better reading experience than my Note5, but I always have the phone and don't want to carry yet one more device.

The Kindle also lets me share content with my wife and EC, and vice versa. I still read both hardcover and paper backs, but not so often these days.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Just curious
    Autobook while driving in the car. Can't stand radio anymore.

and Paperback

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I go down to Mexico every 3 months or so and end up spending a lot of time sitting at the Monterey and Mexico City airports. Can't depend nor do I want to use their wifi so I need something that you can download to. I've tried reading on my smartphone and hate it. I've seen other people with large tablets that look nice. Just don't know which ones to look at.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    My wife has a Kindle Fire that I'll read on sometimes, but mostly I just read on my Asus Nexus 7 tablet via the Kindle app, it's a good size and I don't see the advantage to me buying a separate Kindle just for reading on. I have the app on my Samsung S7 Edge as well, I don't read on it very often but if I'm sitting somewhere (waiting to pick kids up, doctor office, etc.) it's nice that I can just pull my phone out and read a little and it remembers where I was at, etc.

Still read regular books a good bit too. The wife and I go to the local library's used book sale twice a year and get books there, can't beat the price.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Our library has a policy of giving away any used books donated to the library for free. The carts are by the door and you just help yourself.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Our library has a policy of giving away any used books donated to the library for free. The carts are by the door and you just help yourself.
    These are all donated books as well, they sell them really cheap (like $1 or less, the last day is "fill a bag day") and all proceeds go to the library.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    My wife has a Kindle Fire that I'll read on sometimes, but mostly I just read on my Asus Nexus 7 tablet via the Kindle app, it's a good size and I don't see the advantage to me buying a separate Kindle just for reading on.
    Personally, I find the front lit display on Kindles easier on the eyes than back lit displays. I like my Voyage, but the Paperwhite is definitely the best bang for the buck in the line.
    WIFFLEBALL!