Thread: Apple Pay: Bridging Online and Big Box Fraud

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Bwahahaha! One of my favorites.

"You are sitting on a slant"
    LOL. And then he puts a wad of napkins under the other side to balance it out.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Not if the thief takes the phone apart first and unplugs the antenna from the board. Takes what, 2 minutes?

ALL electronic payments are traceable. Money goes from bank to recipient, initiated by client.
    Well by that time I'll have contacted Apple and put a stop on my Apple Pay and/or contacted my bank and stopped the card. Sure, I can't stop the thief but there is enough time to take measures to keep your things safe.

And yeah, ok. You're right. There's always a trail. So?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Well by that time I'll have contacted Apple and put a stop on my Apple Pay
    Using the phone that they just stole?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Using the phone that they just stole?
    Or any of the thousands of phones and other mobile devices that exist everywhere all around me. But ok.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Or I guess I could always just do this: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201472

If Find My iPhone is enabled on your missing device
    You can use Find My iPhone to locate your device and take additional actions that can help you recover it and keep your data secure. Sign in to icloud.com/find on a Mac or PC oruse the Find My iPhone app on another iOS device.
    Locate your device. Open Find My iPhone, and select a device to view its location on a map. If the device is nearby, you can have it play a sound to help you or someone nearby find it.
    Turn on Lost Mode. Using Lost Mode, you can remotely lock your device with a four-digit passcode, display a custom message with your phone number on your missing device's Lock screen, and keep track of your device's location. If you added credit or debit cards to Apple Pay, the ability to make payments using Apple Pay on the device will be suspended when you put your device in Lost Mode.

Report your lost or stolen device to local law enforcement. Law enforcement might request the serial number of your device. Find your serial number:
    On the original box or receipt
    On My Support Profile (supportprofile.apple.com) if you registered your device with your Apple ID
    Erase your device. To prevent anyone else from accessing the data on your missing device, you can erase it remotely. When you erase your device, all of your information (including credit or debit cards for Apple Pay) will be deleted from the device, and you won't be able to locate it using Find My iPhone. After you erase a device, you can't track it. If you remove the device from your account after you erase it, Activation Lock will be turned off. This allows another person to activate and use your device.

What if your iOS device is off or offline?
    If your missing device is off or offline, you can still put it in Lost Mode, lock it, or remotely erase it. The next time your device is online, these actions will take effect. If you remove the device from your account while it's offline, any pending actions for the device will be cancelled.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    But then again, cases of stolen iPhones are way down ever since they started becoming diligent about creating better and better activation locks and remote wiping: http://www.myrateplan.com/blog/numbe...ctivation-lock

Indeed, as reported by Reuters, the total number of iPhones that were stolen have decreased significantly in selected cities around the world in just a year after the feature was introduced by Apple to its smartphones. In New York City, iPhone theft cases are down by 25 percent. In the West Coast specifically in San Francisco, the volume of stolen iPhones has gone down by 40 percent. Even across the Atlantic Ocean in London, England, the number of cases has dropped by a whopping 50 percent.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    None of the deactivation methods will work if the phone's connections are physically disabled. But anyway, the point is that the touch sensor can be easily bypassed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post
    So apple releases a product that make it easier to steal your money and it's the banks fault ?
    Not entirely, but let's face it; they jumped on the bandwagon without making the effort to consider possible shortcomings in Apple Pay. There are plenty of people who assume anything Apple is wonderful and let critical thinking fly out the window. You probably know people like that.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    None of the deactivation methods will work if the phone's connections are physically disabled. But anyway, the point is that the touch sensor can be easily bypassed.
    When was the last time you bypassed the Touch ID sensor of an iPhone? I'd love to see that.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Not entirely, but let's face it; they jumped on the bandwagon without making the effort to consider possible shortcomings in Apple Pay. There are plenty of people who assume anything Apple is wonderful and let critical thinking fly out the window. You probably know people like that.
    So let me get this straight. Apple provides the strong links in the chain and the banks provide the weak links but yet somehow the security vulnerabilities are still Apple's fault? Seems to me you have it backward. It's the people who hate Apple who let the critical thinking fly out the window. I know people like that.