Thread: Office test files

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Office test files

My boss seems to think that there exists a bunch of files specifically for testing the print output from Office products. My understanding is that Microsoft Office is a package for on screen viewing and not for accurate colour printing, (hence the RGB only output). Has anyone heard of such a package?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    My boss seems to think that there exists a bunch of files specifically for testing the print output from Office products. My understanding is that Microsoft Office is a package for on screen viewing and not for accurate colour printing, (hence the RGB only output). Has anyone heard of such a package?
    Never heard of such per se. If you really want very accurate color, you need both a monitor calibration utility like Pantone Huey, or some such, though in Win7 and up you can do a very good job manually if you have the patience. Even then, if your printer isn't Pantone calibrated, the output won't be accurate.

Here are a couple of links to relevant info. Pantone calibrated printers. Monitor calibration software and hardware.

Basically, unless the colors you see on screen match the printer output, you won't have a perfect match regardless of whether you are running Office, Photoshop, or whatever.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 08-19-2015 at 02:34 AM.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    You are correct. However monitors don't always reproduce accurate colors and neither do printers - but they can be calibrated (monitors definitely).
    Long ago I had a color swatch that came with a video card, used for proper color calibration.
    It is worthy to mention that the look of an object will be different depending on the light source used. Direct sunlight and incandescent bulbs will make it look in a way, fluorescent tubes typical for an office will make it look different (usually crappy).
    See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index
    Also different individuals have different perceptions of the very same colors and some have a 4th cone that enables them to see "extra colors".
    Last edited by CeeBee; 08-19-2015 at 03:00 AM.