Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
It's great that she is serving. Everyone has to make their own choice on what branch is best for them. Thankfully, not everyone makes the same choice or else we would have one branch that is too full and the rest would be extinct.
Actually, she hasn't been inducted yet. There is still that little medical hurdle to clear. Again, I don't think that's an issue, and the Navy doesn't seem to think it's a problem. I have ambivalent feelings about the Coast Guard. Back when I was a canal sailor, the Coast Guard administered my tankerman test and later my wheelman's test. For what it's worth, I still hold a Class B Merchant Mariner's Document that permits me to transfer any cargo as inflammable as gasoline from ship to shore or between vessels. I still hold a license that permits me to operate any uninspected towing vessel on any inland water ways of the United States, excluding Western Rivers. Trust me, there is a whole bunch of legal speak here. Bottom line is that I could still push a 1750 foot tow along the Intracoastal Canal. I've done that, it was scary, and I wouldn't do it again if I had the chance.

But, most of my interactions with the Coast Guard involved my boat being boarded and having our sewage treatment system checked for compliance with Federal regs. I never worked on a boat that actually complied with Federal standards, but I spent a lot of time bullshitting Coasties who didn't really care about the job.

The bottom line is that I learned to regard most of the Coast Guard as desk jockeys or ineffectual, incompetent and unmotivated jerkoffs. I know that's unfair, but I would rather have my daughter dancing in a titty bar than serving in the Coast Guard.