Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
This past Monday, Elder Child enlisted in the Navy. .... I couldn't be more proud of her.
Congratulations! I love hearing stories of people's children, growing up, moving on with their lives, etc. It gives me hope that my own children will grow up and move on with their lives. And maybe even find a place of their own!

I don't think I told you all about my son. He went to Cal State U Monterey Bay and managed to flunk out, lost his financial aid, got fired from his job at Chipotle, knocked up his girlfriend and had to move back home. Well, I guess he didn't HAVE to move back home. I just couldn't picture him living in his car in Monterey. (That would be my car that he is paying me for.) My daughter didn't pass any of her classes at the local community college. She did get a job over Christmas. They are both at home, he's working at Starbucks, but could be working at Genentech,. He's got 2 AS degrees and an AA, which is fine with Genentech. She says she is applying for jobs, and she may even go back to school.

If I didn't have such a low opinion of the military I might advise either of them to join. But I spent 20 years, my husband spent 20 years, his father spent 30 years in service so I think my family is done with that. Plus, I don't trust the military with my daughter.