Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So Who's Upgraded to Win10?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

So Who's Upgraded to Win10?

My son did the upgrade from Win7 to Win10 on his Asus laptop and has been b|tching ever since. He did the in-place upgrade, not a clean install. First off, it installed a whole bunch of useless apps. Then he started getting "out of memory" messages even tho he has 6GB of RAM. Then his CPU usage is through the roof; into the 60-70% range. He is using Avast for his antivirus and has deleted Norton and turned Windows Defender off. He got M$ on the phone and they accessed his laptop and ran a bunch of checks, etc. After that, he's even gotten a couple of BSOD's upon bootup. So, he figured he would just go back to Win7 but he kept getting these messages about him needing to delete any users that he's added. But the only user is himself with Admin capabilities; so that just goes into an endless loop; can't revert back to Win7.

He has Googled it and evidently, there are all kinds of problems with Win10 from memory leaks to wiping out disk drives and all kinds of crap. Needless to say, he has regretted it and wishes he could just go back to Win7.

Have any of you guys gone down this route and what suggestions do you have?

TIA

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    My son did the upgrade from Win7 to Win10 on his Asus laptop and has been b|tching ever since. He did the in-place upgrade, not a clean install. First off, it installed a whole bunch of useless apps. Then he started getting "out of memory" messages even tho he has 6GB of RAM. Then his CPU usage is through the roof; into the 60-70% range. He is using Avast for his antivirus and has deleted Norton and turned Windows Defender off. He got M$ on the phone and they accessed his laptop and ran a bunch of checks, etc. After that, he's even gotten a couple of BSOD's upon bootup. So, he figured he would just go back to Win7 but he kept getting these messages about him needing to delete any users that he's added. But the only user is himself with Admin capabilities; so that just goes into an endless loop; can't revert back to Win7.

He has Googled it and evidently, there are all kinds of problems with Win10 from memory leaks to wiping out disk drives and all kinds of crap. Needless to say, he has regretted it and wishes he could just go back to Win7.

TIA
    My experience so far is that the Windows 10 upgrade is usually pretty painless. I had one client who turned her computer off while the upgrade was completing, and I had to use a DVD to reload the upgrade, but most of the ones I've been involved with are pretty painless. Most of my clients have installed the upgrade with very few problems (and also provided me with no revenue).

My advice is to download the iso file, and do the install from a DVD or pen drive, rather than do it online. It is quicker, and seems to have fewer glitches. As I understand it, currently once a Win10 upgrade has been activated, you can do subsequent clean installations with your old version's product ID. But, you gotta activate the upgrade first.

Still most of the problems I've seen come down to malware, old or oddball software, or users just shutting down the computer when they shouldn't have done so. I spent about 2 hours this morning finishing a Win10 installation for an older client. I pretty much had everything working in about 45 minutes except for Windows Update. After I removed around 500 bits of malware, I ran the Win10 specific Windows Update trouble shooter and fixed the issue in about 5 minutes.

My only problem with Win10 is that it broke my accounting software. I don't use QuickBooks, and will never, ever, under any circumstances buy Quickbooks again. Before that happens, I'll move all my stuff into Excel and bite the bullet on the inconvenience. I'm still running Office Accounting 2008, and it is perfectly adequate for my needs. Win10 broke SQL 5.0, but I just run Office Accounting under VMWare in a virtual XP machine, and it's OK.

I see posts about performance issues, blue screens, etc. with Win10, but I'm not seeing any of that. Most of the issues I see are driver related. Many older printers don't have drivers that work well with Win10. Generally, if the printer has a Win 8.1 driver, that will work with Win10, but you may need to uninstall the old driver before the upgrade is installed. I've been running Win10 on my primary office computer since its release and if anything, I find it to be quicker than Win7 or 8.1

I now have it running on my wife's desktop, EC's laptop, and YC's desktop. And it was all pretty painless. So far the worst problem I've had has been the YC's Wacom Intuos tablet driver doesn't work. But, there's a new driver, I just have a problem prying YC away from her computer long enough to do the uninstallation and reinstallation.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It's worth mentioning that Win10 has also had a fair amount of stuff stripped out of the default installation. Win10 has no native support for playing DVD movies, so, horror of horrors, you might be forced to download the free VLC Media Player. There have been significant changes to the traditional games in Win10, but there are MS replacements for them all or free alternatives. The Weather app is greatly improved from earlier versions. I have voice activation for Cortana turned on for my desktop and EC's laptop, and while I might not use it all that much, Cortana can be much quicker for doing some calculations and conversions that using Calculator; which makes the older versions of Calculator look truly pathetic.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Any truth to the stories of windows 10 looking for pirated media ?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I upgraded my gaming laptop to run it and so far it has been okay. Long story short.

I loaded a second HDD to load Linux on.

Fucked up my primary drive because I am a dumbass when it comes to linux.

Restored win7 from the backup it asks you to make when you first get a PC preloaded.

Updated to 10, and so far it has been stable.

Perhaps it is the "clean" install of 7 that helped.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    fyi

I load most my non OS software on the second partition and restoring all that software went incredibly well. Most of it did not even have to reinstall, I just pointed to where the software was during install of software, Win just kind of fixed its registry without reinstalling and re-updating the software itself.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post

TIA
    I've been running it on my work laptop without any issues, I actually like it, although I guess in fairness I must say that it's not my primary machine, I only use it as needed.

I upgraded my daughter's and she kept running into the "out of memory" errors as well. I had her laptop setup with no swap file (experimenting around with stuff I had read about SSD's) and had no issues with it when she was running win7. I re-enabled the swap file and it's been fine ever since, but I'm still considering reloading hers with win7.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post
    Any truth to the stories of windows 10 looking for pirated media ?
    If you have an activated version of Windows, the upgrade will activate.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 12-08-2015 at 11:06 PM.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I have it running at home on my "piss around" computer and it's fine. I don't do much with it. FB, reddit, itunes, etc.....
    We've had a few people try it at work against our recommendation and have had problems......

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    We've had a few people try it at work against our recommendation and have had problems......
    My FIL's computer bit the dust about 2 weeks ago so I picked him up a used tower with no hard drive from our surplus department here and loaded it with a fresh copy of Win7. He asks me this weekend if he should upgrade to Windows 10 because it keeps asking him to, I told him I didn't see any real reason/advantage for him to (he plays an online poker game, facebooks and reads email). I also told him that I'm way too busy right now with Christmas and the house project to deal with it if it causes any issues........needless to say he upgraded anyways and told me he was having some issues. I told him to try to work them out himself, revert the upgrade or wait until January
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison