Thread: Anybody have a drone?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Anybody have a drone?

I think drones are pretty cool and it might make a good Christmas present for me. I have only begun to look at them so I do not know much about them yet. It appears even cheap ones (around $50) have the potential of being fun. The one thing that I think could be a problem is how long the battery lasts. I have not looked into this much yet but I suspect some of them will not fly for very long before you need to recharge them.

Anybody have one and have some advice to offer?

Thanks.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I've just recently looked into them for a gift.
    It boils down to how much you want to spend and how long you want it to last. From what I have seen in the under $100 range you only get lousy flight time and poor reliability.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Nope.

I was going to get into it. It looked like a good way to make some money on the side as well. I was waiting to see if the FAA would require registration and they did not fail to disappoint. If the drone can be flown outside it will need to be registered and I am sure there will be a fee (tax). I can build a model rocket that flies 1000's of feet in the air, or an RC plane with no registration. Not gonna do it for a drone.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post

Anybody have one and have some advice to offer?

Thanks.
    Talk to a local hobby shop and make sure you can get parts for it. Some of these things you can get new parts for, but you have to have them shipped. Most hobby shops will have spare parts available. Those are the ones you will want to look at.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I don't have one, but will probably at some point. I have several RC helicopters and the flight time generally sucks on them, but you can get a bunch of spare batteries and swap out so it's not a big issue for me.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I saw one at Costco Saturday afternoon. I went back today because I wanted to double-check the features. The entire pallet I saw on Saturday afternoon was sold. The lady I spoke to said the warehouse did not have any but it still showed as a current item so she assumed they would get more. I have not decided if I want a drone yet, and I certainly have not decided on a particular model but I was certainly amazed at how fast that one sold. This is what they were selling. Costs $79.

https://vimeopro.com/user41907705/propel-hd-video-drone

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    If you can get one that shoots HD for 79 bucks. Get it. I was looking at them today and 100 bucks for a small one that shoots minimal video was far more expensive.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The only downside I see with this one so far is that I cannot see the video/pictures I am taking via the remote control so I am shooting fairly blind. However, at $79, can I really complain? Also, the nice thing at that price is if I get bored with it, I don't have much invested in it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    The only downside I see with this one so far is that I cannot see the video/pictures I am taking via the remote control so I am shooting fairly blind. However, at $79, can I really complain? Also, the nice thing at that price is if I get bored with it, I don't have much invested in it.
    Agreed. I'm guessing that feature would eat the battery a lost faster, plus probably cost a lot more.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I have a drone. I 'm not a big fan of drones, I like to manage drone and take pictures from a height, but I'm not such a fan as my friend, who received a pilotong license, he goes to the field once a week to fly. I have an inexpensive drone and I'm very pleased with it. I have a DJI Spark. Here http://droneadvisor.tech/dji/dji-spark.html you can read more about this drone, there are all its characteristics. I believe that this drone is enough for a beginner or amateur. This drone is very easy to manage, excellent shooting quality, easy to control from a mobile phone.